Watch Live NEWS Channels

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Kim set for Serena face-off

New York, Sept. 9: Kim Clijsters will carefully scrutinise the face of Serena Williams when the two take to the court on Thursday for a US Open showdown that promises to be the matchup of the tournament.
That way, she will know just what to expect from the defending champion and tournament favourite in their semifinal.
“Serena, I’ve seen her play here, and she has that face where she’s like, ‘OK, I’m here to do business.’ But that doesn’t mean that you don’t get chances when you get to play her. So that’s something that I’m going to be really focused on,” she said.
Serena, who cruised past Italy’s Flavia Pennetta 6-4, 6-3, and has lost just 24 games in five matches, said she was aware that she could get stoney-faced when the stakes were high.
“I’m not aware of it, but I see it afterwards in the photos. I’m pretty horrified sometimes,” she said.
Still, she admitted, it would be hard to build up any reserves of animosity towards Clijsters, whom she described as being “just a good-hearted individual who takes tennis seriously and life more seriously.”
“But if I can play against Venus, I can pretty much play against anyone,” she said.
In the men’s singles, Rafael Nadal assured a jump past Britain’s Andy Murray back into the world number two ranking by advancing to the US Open quarterfinals on Tuesday while the Scotsman crashed out in humbling fashion.
Spanish third seed Nadal, trying to complete a career Grand Slam with a seventh major title, defeated French 13th seed Gael Monfils 6-7 (3/7), 6-3, 6-1, 6-3 to book a spot in the last eight against Fernando Gonzalez.
Second seed Murray never looked in form as Croatian Marin Cilic reached his first Grand Slam quarterfinal with a 7-5, 6-2, 6-2 victory. “I just struggled. I played poorly. I’m very disappointed. I didn’t feel like I played well. I had my chance in the first set and struggled after that,” said Murray.

blog comments powered by Disqus

TELUGU e-papers

About This Blog

E-PAPER: English PRINT EDITIONS

Lorem Ipsum

Hindi News Paper

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP